Thursday 22 April 2010

The Way of the Soul

Or "In Memoriam" by Alfred Lord Tennyson
The most frequently quoted lines in the poem are perhaps
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.
This stanza is to be found in Canto 27. The last two lines are usually taken, out of context, as offering advice on the dissolution of a romantic relationship. However the lines actually refer to the death of a beloved friend. (jupp quoted from wikipedia, nice friend when you're tired, lonely and seeing double"

Currently I'm fascinated by a lot of random stuff. Everything from poems and literature, to illness suck as Todd's syndrome. A fun fact about Todd's syndrome is actually that it's also called Alice in Wonderland syndrome, and it's said that Lewis Carroll suffered from it. Hence the writing of the book. I find a lot about this disease really fascinating, but to avoid starting to speak gibberish I'll leave it up to you to follow the link and read some more about it. I can't hold myself from telling a little thing though, this is exactly the way I feel every time I get new glasses. 2 inches tall, though never hitting the ground when walking, like I'm flying. GREAT!

No comments:

Post a Comment